Purpose of the Conference Child and Youth Protection Policy
Based on Action of the 2000 Iowa Annual Conference Journal, page 167:
Our conference’s purpose for establishing this Child and Youth Protection Policy and accompanying procedures is to demonstrate our absolute and unwavering commitment to the physical safety and spiritualgrowth of the children and youth involved in conference and district ministry settings.
Statement of Covenant
Therefore, as an annual conference in The United Methodist Church, we pledge to:
- Conduct the ministry of the gospel in ways that assure the safety and spiritual growth of all of our children and youth as well as all of the workers with children and youth;
- Follow reasonable safety measures in the selection and recruitment of workers;
- Implement prudent operational procedures in all programs and events;
- Provide educational opportunities to all our employees and volunteers who work with children and youth regarding relevantconference policies and procedures;
- Have a clearly defined procedure for reporting a suspected incident of abuse; and
- Be prepared to respond to media inquiries if an incident occurs.
In all of our ministries with children and youth, the Iowa Conference is committed to demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ so that each child will be “…surrounded by steadfast love,… established in the faith,and confirmed and strengthened in the way that leads to life eternal” (Baptismal Covenant II,” United Methodist Hymnal, p. 44).