Youth Leader Job Description
The Youth Director will be primarily responsible for developing resilient Jesus followers by helping the youth (preschool age through high school) in the community develop a Biblical worldview and strong personal faith.
Through thoughtful planning and preparation, the Youth Director will provide leadership for youth Bible study, discipleship, praise/worship, evangelism, missions education, missions involvement and fellowship events in a safe (physically and emotionally) and engaging environment. This part time position requires, at a minimum, a Wednesday evening and Sunday morning schedule. The Youth Director reports to the pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee chairperson.
- An evident relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Approachable and outgoing Christian, have a commitment to a Christian faith, and Wesleyan doctrine and traditions and lead by example.
- Proficiency with understanding of challenges and needs of young people.
- Possess a demonstrated ability to plan, organize, direct and lead youth.
- Demonstrated outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written, along with excellent organizational skills.
- Possess sufficient skills and experience to relate Bible teachings and applications to real life questions and situations that apply to youth and their families.
- Familiarity with recruiting, training, empowering, and leading a team of ministry volunteers.
- Previous youth ministry experience is an advantage.
- Available to work extended hours, evenings, over weekends and public holidays, and as needed on short notice.
- Serve and support the vision, mission, and strategic plan of the church.
- Inspire and recruit students and their families to know and follow Jesus.
- Create a dynamic, meaningful, and safe (physically and emotionally) atmosphere for spiritual growth among youth.
- Strategize, create, and implement an action plan to develop a growing and vibrant ministry to youth.
- Coordinate and lead Sunday morning and Wednesday night youth programming and/or other youth activities in collaboration with the pastor and ministry volunteers.
- Plan, implement and attend youth summer camps, retreats, mission activities, outreach events, fundraisers and/or other church sanctioned youth events.
- Prepare written communications/updates regarding Youth Ministry for parents and church family.
- Prepare and administer a budget within church guidelines.
- Abide by all rules, regulations, and policies.
- Collaborate with the board of directors of the church’s preschool program.
- Abide by the Safe Sanctuary program of the church.
- Work in close cooperation with leadership council and other members of the church staff. Collaborate with the worship team in making Tipton FUMC a friendly and welcoming place for youth and their families.
- Collaborate with other community youth leaders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Compensation rate shall be set annually by the Leadership Council.
- Compensation will be at an hourly rate, not to exceed 20 hours per week and may be adjusted as needed by the Staff Parish Relationship Committee and the pastor.